Feb 15, 2010

B's celebrate Valentine's Day

When we had our first Valentine's Day we decided not to give gifts but to spend the day together. That year we went to the San Antonio Zoo and had dinner on the Riverwalk. Last year we were flat broke on Valentine's Day but went to a movie and had a special dinner at home.

This year we kept with the tradition of doing something nice together instead of buying gifts. We caught an early viewing of Avatar in 3-D at the theater around the corner. It is a beautiful movie! I don't mean that it has some sappy plot; not it's just pretty. So many amazing colors. It actually kinda reminded me of the cartoon movie Ferngully from my childhood with the lush plant-life and corporate nature destroying bad guys. So think of it as Ferngully on 15 years later and kinda on sterroids...in a good way. After our movie we treated ourselves to dinner at Gumbos of Westlake. There are a couple Gumbos locations in Austin, including one downtown and one in Round Rock. The downtown location turned us off because of parking etc and the Round Rock location just doesn't look very fancy from the outside. But the Westlake location is in a pretty spot in the hills and since it's in Westlake, you can count on it being a little upscale. Which it was and which I loved. Beautiful simple decor in cream, red and black. It actually reminded me of the restaurant version of our own house. And the food was tasty! I had trout stuffed with crab and shrimp. DELICIOUS. Ross had their one-and-only chicken dish. To be fair, I probably enjoyed the meal more since it was a mostly seafood menu and I love seafood 10 or so times more than he does. But he said the chicken was delicious and I think we both left pretty happy. I know if nothing else, we both left very full. We came home, played board games, read in bed and crashed. Such a relaxing weekend with my honey!

Today I went on my first adventure to the Town Lake Hike & Bike path. Having lived here going on three years it was a crying shame that I hadn't visited this very Austin-y spot yet. Nikki raves about how nice it is for a job and since we had the day off, she took an hour to show me her favorite part of the path. It's really nice! It reminds me of the Esplanade in Boston...which was only my favorite place to go rollerblading so to say it reminds me of that location means something.

And tonight we tried a new recipe from Rachel Ray - Blush Pasta. It smelled delicous cooking but wasn't as flavorful as I expected. I'm brainstorming ways to pump up the volume next time because I think it has great potential. In fairness to RR, I didn't have crushed Italian tomatoes so did the regular plus a pinch of sugar option. I'm hoping if I use crushed Italian tomatoes next time, maybe that will give it the punch I'm looking for.

Ross is now at Sam Bass for his weekly volunteer training and I'm enjoying a glass of wine while I bake cookies and watch The Bachelor. Yes it is a night of our individual favorite things.

Things are going great with us, our home and our family. However there are some parts of our lives in limbo right now but nothing that will shake our very strong foundation. And we're optimistic that "limbo" can transform into awesome opportunities. For fear of jinxing it, I won't share any more but as soon as it's out of limbo and in stone, you'll be the first to know.

PS And for the record "limbo" in no way refers to babies. No way man! I have vacations I want to take and margaritas I want to drink before we go there.

No comments: