Sep 11, 2014

We are never, ever getting back together

We are never ever ever getting back together,
We are never ever ever getting back together,
You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me
But we are never ever ever ever getting back together

Like, ever...

Ah Taylor Swift, I think you were talking about a boy (the Kennedy boy maybe?) but I am talking about American Airlines.

Supposedly I was going to DC today for my first working mom biz trip. Margeaux was taking Cade to preschool so I could catch my early flight; Nancy was on tap to pick him up and have a slumber party; Ross was scheduled for all-day daddy duty when he got home from shift tomorrow.

Well, I only made it as far as DFW. And then I hung out there FOREVER.

I caught my 8:35a flight from AUS to DFW (Thanks Margeaux!). Quick change of terminals and stop in ladies' room and I was ready for my 10:25a flight to DC. Or 11a flight. Whatevs. But when I got on my slightly delayed flight we were told that some external thing-a-majigger that starts the plane wasn't working so we were getting a new one. 15 minute delay. NBD.

Turns out that thing-a-majigger was not the broken thing-a-majigger. It was a valve actually on the plane. Let's see if one is nearby for quick replacement. Psych! Not so much. De-plane everyone because to do the fix it's gonna be an hour with no AC and it's Dallas so it is 95 out. Try again at noon.

So I went to town on the free DFW wifi and scored some Starbucks. Life could be worse.

When the delay was pushed to 1p, I decided I was skipping out on the company dinner tonight. I wasn't capable of putting my best foot forward or wining and dining anyone. Instead I was gonna sulk with Anna and Ben. But seeing them was a silver lining so I could forgive AA for the delays. It meant Delta time!

Then the delay was 1:20. And because this plane had to be taken full on outta commission, then it was 1:40. Then 2p. OK 2p take off still meant 6p arrival. Plenty of time to grab dinner with my favorite Virginians.

At 2:20p I'm watching the safety video for the third time that day when the pilot says "Some days are just unbelievable..." As in "this is your second airplane of the day but guess what - it doesn't work either!"

Literally 2 minutes after that announcement, before I figured out what the hell I was gonna do, my VP texts me "If you want to go back to Austin that is fine." Sweeter words were never texted.

I rang that flight attendant bell before I even responded. (Thank you boss and boss' boss for being reasonable, compassionate people. Really, it means a lot to me. This is why I was eager to work for you.)

At 2:40p I de-planed my third plane of the day. I asked American if I could get a flight home or if I should rent a car (it's only 3 hours after all). (My VP suggested hitch hiking as the most cost effective route...j/k of course.)  The nice agent told me she could get me on a 4:10p to Austin because duh, it's Sept 11 and nobody but me is flying today. (Shot of confidence!) Ugh well 4:10 wasn't bad if it was on time which American was not doing awesome with lately. Nothing earlier?

There's a 3:10 but they'll close the gate at 2:55p for that and it is already 2:43p. LADY I have all my luggage, I'm wearing flats and I am MOTIVATED. "Well I don't want them to slam the door in your face" and then do what - book me on the 4:10p?! Give me a damn chance! I'll make that sprint.

And sprint I did. Across the entire A terminal, into the sky-tram-whatever-they-call-it, past old ladies (sorry if I knocked you down), through ALL of terminal C with a laptop bag banging my left hip and large purse thudding my right ribs. I had leg cramps and couldn't breathe, by dammit, I made it to C39 at 2:53p. I boarded the plane sweating and panting and barely knowing my name.

We took off by 3:15p. Of course I was in the back of the plane (don't give a sh*t) which meant we had the most slope at take-off...and my iphone rolled out of my overstuffed purse. Awesome. So as soon as the seatbelt sign was off, I was down on all fours in my pencil skirt in the aisle looking under chairs for my phone. Bless the lady two rows back with a big purse that stopped the phone sliding. About that time the pilot tells us we've been redirected toward Abilene because of weather that we need to go around and it will DOUBLE our flight time.

Then I ordered wine.

Thankfully as I poured my wine we got clearance to take a shorter route that only put us 10 minutes behind schedule. Things were finally looking up.

I landed at 4:15p, darted out of the airport, back to my car and sped up 130 to preschool to grab my little boy. After re-installing his carseat (which Margeaux had left there for Nancy), I went into his classroom and found him not there. WTF. Thankfully I was informed that he was just enjoying third recess with the toddler class he's graduating to this month. Cool beans. Except when I got to the playground he wanted nothing to do with me. Couldn't I see he was playing with new friends on a new playground?? Besides I promised him a slumber party with Nana and I was NOT Nana. After three attempts and bribery of a movie and junk food, he obliged and came home with me.

Finally back home we ended our (my) crazy day blissfully with Brittany and Kenneth. The kids ate real food for dinner and the moms had wine and guacamole. Then we all watched "An American Tail" movie featuring Fievel. We ended with this sweet scene of the boys reading together on the couch.

Ah being home with them makes it all worth it. Look how sweet!

PS My American Airlines voucher from Boston travel plan changes has been sold to a sorority sister. Because American Airlines, we are never, ever getting back together.

No comments: