Jul 19, 2007

Make New Friends But Keep the Old

...One is silver and the other's gold.

Girl Scout songs/lessons that are good for life. I remember singing that one repeatedly as a Brownie.

I've definitely made new friends this week. Tuesday I had drinks with Nirav, older brother of my friend Ankur who was in Sydney with me last year. Nirav just moved to Austin about a week ago to start grad school at UT's LBJ School. And he's also a BU alum so needless to say, anyone smart enough to go to BU for undergrad and then move to Austin for grad school is a friend of mine. He was great. I look forward to seeing my new friend much more often :)

Last night I attended my first YNPN Happy Hour. Let me tell you, professional organization of my dreams. Young Nonprofit Professionals Network. Me in a nutshell perhaps? And they were all fabulous! I met Melanie, marketing pro for Big Bros/Big Sis and Scott, major gifts officer for the ACS. NEW BEST FRIENDS these two.

And as for keeping the old friends, Amy attended the YNPN HH with me and then we had dinner. One of the few times we'll see each other before she starts grad school in Scotland. Thats my Amy, nomad extrodinaire. We ran into Dorian too, who is interning with Leadership Austin and if they are smart, she will become a reagular full time employee very soon.

So there you have it kids. Lessons from Girl Scouting applying to life many moons later. Make new friends but keep the old; one is silver but the other's gold. A circle's round and has no end, thats how long I want to be your friend.

No comments: