May 4, 2010

Ready, Set, MAKE MONEY

iphone_picToday officially marks day one of the new gig: Development Executive for Girl Scouts of Central Texas. That's right, my first day on the job is a Tuesday. Mmmm hmmm, because we no longer work Mondays. That's right folks, 4-day work weeks that start on Tuesday and end at 3 p.m. on Friday. You can stop turning green with envy now. I've got a good thing and I know it.

So back to day one on the job, I have to say, I think I've started out OK. I have $9,000 pledged to my first event (S'more Soiree) and a meeting with a potential big sponsor lined up for Thursday afternoon.
I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't a little nervous about this fund raising thing. I have a lot of money I need to raise. More than $300k annually just to give you an idea. What does that make the $9k I have pledged...about 3% of my annual goal? Long story short, if you have some extra change in your couch cushions or car floorboards, I can use every penny. And if those pennies total thousands of dollars, I can hook you up with a box of thank you Thin Mints. Heck, maybe even two boxes.

There's lots of things that I'm jazzed about for the new job but let me tell you about just two for now.
  1. On Friday I am having coffee with Judy, fund raiser extraordinaire. It is an enlightening session, fund raising 101's cliff notes if you will. My office is currently seeking a Chief Development Officer so I'm in great need of a mentor and I appreciate Judy filling this void, and in my first week nonetheless.
  2. The Girl Scout 100 year anniversary is just around the corner (2012) and with this new gig, I should play a significant role in the fundraising efforts and special events focused around that anniversary. What a cool moment to be Girl Scout staff!
And what does the picture have to do with anything? Not a whole lot except that's what I did with my Monday off, play with the puppy.

No comments: