Sep 9, 2011

Feel Good Friday

This day last year was one of the worst of our lives.

A year later and I'm happy to report it is a feel good Friday. Ross had a lazy day around the house with Lexi which is possibly one of his favorite ways to spend a day. He also chatted with his uncle for a good 30 minutes. And we had steak for dinner. In Ross terms, only the Bears and Cubs both winning could make a day better.

I had two feel good moments that carried me happily through my day.

  1. In the mail this morning, I got an invitation from Southwest Airlines to be a premier card holder with a sign up bonus of 50,000 points. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to cancel and not pay the annual fee on boring old rewards credit card I ordered on Saturday but Chase/Southwest came through for me. They closed that card and waived the annual fee. I submitted by premier application today and - fingers crossed! - it should go through soon and I'll be 50,000 reward points richer. Please note this is especially important because on Sunday or Monday (either way, AFTER I applied for my wimpy card) Southwest released the travel dates for Jane's wedding and instead of needing 21,000 points like I estimated based on other weekends, that one is closer to 30,000. I guess I'm not the only one who wants to be in Boston for St. Patty's Day. Anyways, like you can imagine, these 50,000 Southwest points are virtual plane ticket gold.
  2. This is the big one. One of my coworkers was a victim of the recent wildfires. Fortunately said co-worker and his family were out of town when the fires came so they are all fine. However, they have no home and lost everything but what they took with them for that weekend trip. Our office collected donations to replenish the kids to the best of our abilities. In a last minute change of plans, I was suddenly armed with a wad of cash, kiddo sizes and ages, and deployed to Target. I went nuts. Purple ballet flats, Converse sneakers, polo shirts, graphic Ts, cargo pants, flip flops, alarm clocks, a sparkly headband, board games, a football, a Tono Romo shirt, socks, a digital camera, remote control car, towels, blankets, jeans, crayons, notebooks, sweaters, clothes hangers, camo backpack, water bottles, books, gift cards. It was like for two hours, I replaced Santa Claus. My cart at Target was overflowing with goodness. The hardest  question was "is this cool or lame." I mean for goodness sakes, I was debating over which digital camera (pink or purple, big decision) and which remote control thingy (car or helicopter). It was great! I had a blast! It was the best way ever to spend two hours of a work day. I spent the rest of my day full of warm fuzzies and grinning ear to ear. I hope those kids enjoy the goodies half as much as I enjoyed buying them.
I hope you had a feel good Friday. In fact, if you did, I'd love to hear all about it. It would make for a feel gooder Friday.

1 comment:

Caro Lowe said...

and the Bears and Cubs both won on Sunday!