Apr 29, 2014

You're Killing Me Smalls

Ham Porter: Hey, Smalls, you wanna s'more?
Smalls: Some more of what?
Ham Porter: No, do you wanna s'more?
Smalls: I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing? 
Ham Porter: You're killing me Smalls!

You know what there's not enough of in 2014? The Sandlot references. But I'm here to correct that.

A few nights ago Cade was signing for "more" food but he hadn't had anything yet. Enter The Sandlot quote.

(I think in his baby mind the sign for "more" means something more general like "I want." Usually though it is pretty clear what he wants.)

The other and original inspiration for this blog post those was another food related item in which I'm the one saying "You're killing me Smalls" to my small person. Specifically Cade has not bought into the "variety is the spice of life" theory yet. He wants to eat the same fruits, carbs and dairy items all day every day.

Today I baked him these awesome delicious zucchini sticks/fries. Because a week or two ago, he liked zucchini. Nope, not today. Wouldn't let them anywhere near his mouth. All three that I gave him (before waving the white flag of surrender) ended up on the floor for Lexi. Ditto to the cherry tomatoes I sliced for him. And most of his mac-n-cheese. The cracker with peanut butter on it fared a little better. 1/4 of it made it into his mouth; the rest was smashed into crackery-peanut-butter dust and smeared all over his high chair tray and arms. But you know, 1/4 of 1 cracker was eaten so that's something. The toddler pasta stars and veggie meal had a similar fate. 4-5 spoonfuls in his mouth before he started swatting at the spoon and vetoing it. But then signing "more." No sweetie, you clearly don't want more of this. (As I said, I think the sign for "more" really just means "I want something" at this point.)

What happened in the end? The same thing that usually happens. I said "you're killing me Smalls!" which he did not get of course and then I gave him mandarin oranges and apple sauce. For the 1000th day in a row.* I did hold my ground firm though and not give him any teddy grahams. If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything and all that.

*OK he isn't anywhere near a 1000 days old yet so this is probably an exaggeration.

No comments: