Dec 22, 2011

(Love) Parenthesis

We've discussed my love of parenthesis before (see post). So imagine my excitement when I discovered this in my Google Reader today: 15 ways to use parentheses.

I know. Exciting isn't it? Here's a few of my favs, excerpted from the article
Examples, directions, explanations, and clarifications: 
2. “At that point, you may want to consult with a professional. (Refer to the Resources chapter for a list of tax advisers.)”

Abbreviations (usually) after the first reference to the full version of the term:
6. “The country’s import and export levels are regulated by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).”

Modifying words or phrases, or interjections:
8. “The writer will (one hopes) produce well-crafted prose.”
9. “It turns out that he had (gasp!) told the truth.”
 As you can probably guess, numbers 8 and 9 are my most favorites. I use them (a bit too) often.

No comments: