Dec 28, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

From PaperbackSwap.com
Knocking out my December goal to read two fun books, I finished The Time Traveler's Wife this morning. Now my first observation is that this is a funny name for the book; it's way more about the actual time traveler than his wife. But odd title aside, it was a REALLY good book.

Given the nature of the character, the book switches narrators, times and locations frequently. When you begin it, be sure you can actually sit down and read; don't have the TV on in the background or anything. I found once I got used to the structure though I could still stay with the story and ignore distractions.

Without giving away the whole story, I'll give you the 30-second synopsis. Henry travels in time but has no control over when it happens and to what other time he'll go to. For example, he meets his future wife, Clare, when she is six and he is 30-something. The book follows their relationship, how time travel affects it and the many strange situations (and conflicts) that arise as a result.

Besides an interesting concept, the book is really well written. The characters are all very intelligent and witty, making even the most mundane conversation interesting and fun to read.

Verdict: Absolutely read.

Batting Next: The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain, a Christmas gift from my honey. I love Anthony Bourdain, especially now that he's the newest judge on Top Chef.

On deck: The film versions of The Time Traveler's Wife, My Sister's Keeper (tomorrow with Nichole) and Shutter Island (hopefully this week or next with Ross).

No comments: