Dec 30, 2010

2011 Reading List

I love lists and goals. I'm a sick, boring person and they are possibly two of my favorite things. So when I decided to make a New Year's Resolution (ie goal) to "read some really good books" naturally this meant I needed to create a reading list. Ta-da! A goal and a list. As we hunker down into 2011, here, in no particular order, is my reading list:
From Amazon.com

  • The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It's been on my reading list for at least a year and I swear, now I'm really going to read it.
  • A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain. A Christmas gift from my honey.
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Neils Arden Oplev. Highly reccommended by Erin and my mother-in-law, Nancy.
  • Decision Points by George W. Bush. Ross is reading this right now and really likes it. Even though we don't see eye to eye politically, I think I'll enjoy the insight as to why President Bush thinks the way he does.
  • The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It was on the BBC Book List and I've heard good things so why not. I think Jane and her bro love this book - Jane, is that right?
  • 33 Million People in the Room by Juliette Powell. A marketing selection on social media. Seems relevant.
  • The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard. I loved the movie a million years ago and it was actually the first book from Oprah's Book Club. Pretty good endorsement I'd say.
  • Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. We've all heard of it but I've not read it. Good enough reason for me.
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett. A somewhat misc pick off Amazon's best-seller's list.
  • The Confession by John Grisham. I'm a Grisham-aholic and this is Sunday's number 2 best-seller according to the New York Times. (Odd since Sunday hasn't happened yet. I feel like a fortune teller.)
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. And then, of course, the movie.
  • Moneyball by Michael Lewis. I started this book about three years ago because Ross swears by it but I never did finish it. In 2011, I will finish it. Maybe before/around baseball season. Maybe it will help me with a fantasy team...yes, that sounds good.
I know some people (cough cough, Jane) have reading lists that are 50+ books long but I have to admit, for what my 2011 will be, I think a 12 book reading list is good for me. And by the end of the year, I'll be a better read person (and you'll get reviews). Woohoo! Do you have any other book suggestions for when I knock out this dozen?

PS Two blog posts in one day; crazy I know. But consider - this post took me no less than three days to write! Book research is intense!

3 comments:

janieliz19 said...

Yes, we do love that book :) and I've also read a few others on your list! Not sure if you'll like Hitchhikers Guide as much as I do, but you'll like The Help and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for sure. I read Eat Pray Love twice- LOVED it the first time but not as much the second time. And I own Tuesdays with Morrie. Fun fact-part of it's set at Brandeis, at the picnic table that I used to do work at my first year (before the construction people destroyed it...) that's why I read it.

As for my lofty goal - it's not even double what I read this year, so I figure it's attainable...

Also about making lists- Chris has just realized this about me and he thinks it's WEIRD lol

janieliz19 said...

Oh yeah! I thought of a book for you. The Checklist Manifesto. It's non-fiction but it's a whole book about how checklists are the best thing ever. I think you'd like it:)

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy, but I did not enjoy Eat, Pray, Love AT ALL. However, I do think that a large part of my dislike is due to my conservative Baptist nature, so take that with a grain of salt if you will.