Jan 9, 2011

Geek Alert: Breakthrough Nonprofit Branding

In an attempt to knock out one of my weekend goals - to get caught up on social media/NPO blog reading - I was going through my Google Reader when I got to a post by Beth Kanter re: Breakthrough Nonprofit Branding. Sounds interesting but when all your blogs subscriptions are marketing and nonprofit in nature...well ya know, it's also a pretty normal topic.

I started reading the post and discovered it was actually about a book called Breakthrough Nonprofit Branding by the love of my professional life, CAROL CONE.

I wish I could tell you that I've actually met Carol. I have not. I first learned about her at BU as she is an alumna of the COM graduate program. Score one point for coolness.

Carol's claim to fame is cause branding. As in she started it. The Avon breast cancer campaign - totally all her. Score a million points for coolness.

She also started a communications firm, Cone Inc, in Boston. (Score several for coolness.) I desperately wanted to work here in college. Unfortunately the internships are unpaid (lose one point) and I wasn't ever able to swing an unpaid gig.

Several professors referenced her in lectures, gave us case studies on her work, etc. And on the flight back from...our honeymoon perhaps, I read an amazing article about her success in transforming October to the fantastic pink-fest we know it as today.

Suffice it to say, Carol has her act together and is a rockstar in the marketing-nonprofit-corporate branding world. And frankly, I would love to be her when I grow up. But for now, all I can do is run, run, run to the bookstore (or amazon.com) and purchase her new book, Breakthrough Nonprofit Branding and read the heck out of it. And then review it for y'all...though I'm pretty sure it will be amazing, possibly life changing. I. CANNOT. WAIT.

Btw can you believe after all that gushing about her wonderfulness, I actually wasn't paid to write this blog post? Nope, just your average, ordinary geeked-out marketing lover.

No comments: