Oct 19, 2010

Why I Hate Credit Cards

We are not credit card people. I can probably count the credit card purchases we've made on my fingers: honeymoon, plane tickets to Gramma's funeral, my new laptop.

It is this last one that is why I hate credit cards. Because we use them sooooo infrequently, I always forget when we have a balance. I checked our statement two weeks ago to pay off the plane tickets and my laptop. Plane tickets were there, laptop was not. So I paid off the plane tickets.

Fast forward to 10:45 p.m. tonight. I suddenly sat straight up in bed and said "crap." It just dawned on me that I never paid off the laptop. So maybe that small shopping spree I took on Monday wasn't so wise. Maybe we weren't actually in high cotton so to speak. Even more awesome, the bill was due YESTERDAY so we were charged interest for one purchase made less than three weeks ago. Yeah, I totally hate credit cards.

On a happy note (but don't misunderstand, this is not a reason to start liking credit cards), because we thought our finances just simply rocked, we put more money into savings last week than anticipated. So at least now it's just our fun play money that will get the short end of the stick, not our savings. I sure prefer fun things taking the hit and not savings. Silver lining? Yeah, I guess so.

(I better have a butt-load of airline miles after all this.)

No comments: