Sep 30, 2010

A New Round of Reviews

I meant to review these books for you as I finished them but alas, I failed at that. But a few reviews here and I'll be all caught up!

readinggroupguides.com
Bound South by Susan White is one that a southern gal can appreciate it. The story focuses on a mother-daughter pair from a wealthy, conservative Atlanta neighborhood and the trials of growing up and especially breaking away from your roots. There is a secondary mother-daughter pair with their own story line but for me, they were harder to relate to. While any mother or daughter can say "oh yeah been there," if you live in the South, you can say it that much more often and laugh that much louder. Verdict: Good, easy fluffy read. I think Anna and Jess should especially read it, given their new-found Southern roots.

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory is a lot like most her other books, in that John Grisham can't-read-too-many-back-to-back-because-they-are-all-the-same way. So if you like royal European historical fiction, grab it! If you don't...eh. I would suggest reading this before reading books like The Other Boleyn Girl and the others about King Henry's court. This one is how his wife, Catherine of Aaragon, comes to the throne and is essentially the pre-quel to all the others. But if you read them out of order as I did, no harm done. Verdict: only if its your preferred genre.

Feast of Roses by Indu Sundurasen is the sequel to The Twentieth Wife and suffers the same shortcoming: too wordy. The story is good - how Empress Mehrunnisa rules India through her husband - but at some point there began to be too much description of the political climate and not enough action. Do I really care if the prince's elephant fell during his rebellion? No. I haven't quite finished the book yet, about 20 pages to go, so if things turn around and the end wows me, I'll let you know. Verdict: eh, pass.

I'm about to start Mockingjay, the third and final book from the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. Cannot wait! Will let you know how it is, but "wonderful" "page-turner" and "thriller" are all words I expect to be using.

Side Note
Upon proofreading this I found many embarrassing typos. All communications professionals should be mildly ashamed of me.

2 comments:

Anna said...

As I was reading the description for the first book I was saying, "oh - I should totally read that" :-)

Jess said...

I will check it out, thanks for the suggestion :)