Jul 17, 2011

Senorita Crocker

Last night we went out for Tex-Mex with our friends. As I drank my margarita and ate queso covered chip after queso covered chip, I wondered how did I make it through college with so little Tex-Mex. How?? I can't imagine going a week without Tex-Mex now but I would practically go months at a time in college. Unbelievable. Sad really.

In my love of Tex-Mex, I'm becoming quite the little Tex-Mex chef (see last weekend's awesome enchiladas). In fact forget Betty Crocker, you can just call me Senorita Crocker.

On Friday my coworker Emily shared this corn guacamole recipe with me. Emily understands my obsession with avocado and she knew it would be right up my alley. Spot on. It became the basis for my whole lunch today.

012
I bought an ear of corn and Ross kindly grilled it for me (while I may be rockin' at Tex-Mexing, I am still grill handicapped). I chopped and sauteed red and green bell peppers, onion and mushrooms then tossed them, along with a little chopped tomato, onto a tortilla with some cheese to make a super-awesome veggie quesadilla.

(Note: the best lazy thing my bro ever did was forget to take his quesadilla maker with him when he moved out of our shared apartment in 2007. Thank you so much Kev for being forgetful and then for being lazy enough to never claim it again. We're making great use of your quesadilla maker!)

014
Then while the corn was grilling, onto the guac. One large avocado, about 1/4 of a white onion, 1/2 a tomato, cilantro, lime juice and garlic salt, because as AJ and Jane taught me, everything can be made better with a little garlic salt. Once the corn was done, I cut off the kernels and added them to the deliciousness.

Ta-daa! Yumminess.

Holy cow was it delicious. The corn gives it a hint of sweetness which I found fun and new. The only warning I'll give is it was one of the most time-intensive, messy guacs I've made. (But usually I just whip up salsa, avocado, garlic salt and lime so I suppose it doesn't take much to surpass that everyday-in-a-hurry guac recipe.) Totally worth the extra time and clean up though.

Tex-Mex Tip: If you keep the avocado seed in with your guac it won't turn brown. It will stay that pretty guacamole green color. I don't know why this works but it does.

015
So delicious and filling. I had to have Ross and Lexi both help me finish the quesadilla slices
and there's still guac in the fridge for munching on later tonight.

No comments: